Re: Rethinking count-words-region

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Rethinking count-words-region
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2011 12:52:50 -0400

Thanks for the various feedback.  I've now changed count-words-region
back to operating solely on the region.  The command now also reports
the number of lines and characters, making it a superset of the old
count-lines-region.  Hence, count-lines-region is now an alias for
count-words-region.  The M-= binding was updated accordingly.

The previous count-words-region behavior is assigned to a new
`count-words' command, which acts on the region if use-region-p and on
the buffer otherwise.  This currently has no binding; C-= is the obvious
candidate, or we could reassign `C-x l'.  But that can be settled after
the release, I think.