Re: smtp crap

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: smtp crap
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 22:04:23 +0800

PJ Weisberg <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 7:53 AM, Drew Adams <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> But MOST importantly, what about reporting bugs with `emacs -Q'?
>>
>> That is the real problem here, and the one that you keep
>> ignoring.  Instead, you
>> keep focusing on the problem of customization, which is, relatively
>> speaking, no
>> big deal (assuming you finish fixing the repeated-interrogation bugs).
>
> No, that's not the real problem.  There are two problems:
> (1) What should Emacs do when the user asks it to send an email?
> (2) What should Emacs do when the user asks it to report a bug?
>
> This series of questions is appropriate in scenario 1, but not in
> scenario 2.

In scenario 1, the inclusion of mailclient is a bit pointless - if a
user wants to set Emacs up as a MUA, then they won't want their mail
going through another MUA.  So these questions are obviously intended
for scenario 2.

> report-emacs-bug.  The argument Drew is making would disappear
> instantly if report-emacs-bug sent an HTTP POST request, for instance.

Then we'd have to start asking the user questions about their proxy
server.  It isn't really an improvement.