Re: Emacs pretest 24.0.90

From: nabil-82
Subject: Re: Emacs pretest 24.0.90
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 06:04:31 -0700 (PDT)

"Kenichi Handa" writes:

> (quail-use-package "arabic" "quail/arabic")
> (quail-define-rules
> ("1" ?١)
> ...)
Thanks for the tip.

> By the way, if your request is a common one, it is better
> that we add the rules for eastern-arabic digits to "arabic"
> input method and provide a customizable variable to select
> which kind of digits to input.
I think it's a common one! So if it could be possible to add an
arabic-eastern-input-method it would be great.

----
After testing the arabic input method I found another problem.  It's not
emacs-specific. I have it with EVERY bidi-editor in Dos or Unix!  And maybe
a lot of people will not see any problem and say: "That's what I want!"

If I type '1' then '2'  in a "L2R paragraph" I get "12" - as expected of
course.

But if do this with in a "R2L paragraph" (I've tried it in arabic and
hebrew) I get on the scren "12". But this is not "normal". Because the
logical order is 1 then 2. And I'm writing from right to left. So the 1
should be on the right and 2 the should be on the left. So I think "21"
should be correct (for me).

It's disturbing. Because the typing direction for characters is r2l and for
digits is l2r!

And if you have a number at the begin of a line (in a R2L paragraph) let's
say "12" (twelve!) . 2 seems to be the first character! But the first
character (by Ctrl-a) is "1".

As I said you have this problem with every editor. And I see that it is
easier to make it as I think it should be: ALWAYS from right to left,  also
for digits and not only for characters - in the R2L-mode. So they must be a
reason...?

(vim can't bidi. Maybe that's why you don't have this effect there if you
type arabic or hebrew..)