Re: Git mirrors

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Git mirrors
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 13:55:20 +0900

> > Though I disagreed at the time, chosing a tool is not a race, but
> > a decision, political as much as anything else. It seems logical
> > to chose the one you favor, and then try to make it better.
>
> Richard made the decision.  I don't see Richard making any
> contributions to Bazaar at all.  I see Eli and Stefan reporting
> bugs, which is indeed a contribution, but hardly *making* it better.
> Emacs is always waiting on Bazaar, waiting on Savannah, waiting,
> waiting, waiting.

That's always been one of the odd things about the whole "bazaar is
GNU" stance:  Although in name it is, it's never really _seemed_ like
part of the GNU project, having been developed independently by -- and
still arguably pretty much controlled by -- Canonical, who's not
exactly a model of GNU-friendly, or even free-software-friendly
behavior (I don't hate Canonical or anything, but I'd definitely keep
a close eye on my wallet when they're in the room...).

My impression was that they saw bazaar was in trouble and losing the
mindshare competition, and offered it to GNU as a sort of last-ditch
measure to try and shore up its popularity and gain a measure of
respectibility by association.

So basically I've always felt like the addition of bazaar to GNU was
more Canonical cynically using GNU's good name for their own ends than
a real donation.

Coupled with the long-standing technical/design problems (it's always
"fixed in the next release / with the new protocol, honestly, for real
this time!") , this makes me quite disinclined to use bazaar.

-Miles

--
A zen-buddhist walked into a pizza shop and
said, "Make me one with everything."