Re: Git mirrors

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Git mirrors
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 01:38:18 +0900

Burton Samograd writes:

 > "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden> writes:
 > > Linus is too stiff-necked to pull an Eric A. Young
 >
 > Could you explain this? I do not get the reference.

Eric Young wrote parts of an SSL library used in most free BSD
distributions.  It was (is?) used in OpenSSL and therefore OpenSSH.

His license is a copyleft BSD license.  No joke.  I forget the
wording, but the license requires that if you redistribute the code,
you must use the BSD+EAY license.  This makes it incompatible with all
strong copyleft licenses, in particular the GPL.

I have no knowledge of the background to his action, but it would seem
to be pure spite, as for practical purposes it only affects use of the
SSL library in copylefted programs.