Re: smtpmail on Windows native Emacs with gnutls-cli from Cygwin freeze.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: smtpmail on Windows native Emacs with gnutls-cli from Cygwin freeze.
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 03:15:33 -0400

> From: Oleksandr Gavenko <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 00:53:12 +0300
>
> I like use native Emacs with Cygwin toolset. It does not
> hard to friend then. But from time to time I discover some issues.
>
> Now time I finally try setup Emacs to work with mail.
>
> GMail SMTP require TLS connection. As usual this done by
> 'gnus/starttls.el'.
>
> After configuring smtpmail (send-mail-function==smtpmail-send-it)
> I try compose mail:
>
>    C-x m bla-bla-bla C-c C-c
>
> Emacs freeze! Try same in Cygwin Emacs and all OK!

Was your native Windows build of Emacs built with GnuTLS support?
See the section in nt/INSTALL about "Optional GnuTLS support", for
the details.  I understand that if you build Emacs with GnuTLS support
and install the GnuTLS binaries from the URL in that section, you will
have gnutls in the native Emacs without any need for the Cygwin gnutls
executable, and without any need to hack Emacs for SIGALRM.

If the GnuTLS configuration described in nt/INSTALL doesn't work,
please submit a bug report.  I'm quite sure several people use that
configuration successfully.

> Conclusion from this story: check return codes... and don't use
> unsupported configuration!

The latter.  Especially if the supported configuration already has
GnuTLS support built into it.