Re: Windows' "split status"

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Windows' "split status"
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 16:15:40 +0100

> But I think this result is just a consequence of the implementation
> rather than actual intention.  My impression is that window-nest is
> trying to solve a problem which can't be solved with a user-config: it's
> trying to provide some kind of way for elisp packages to use parent
> windows as a form of "very lightweight sub-frame", without touching much
> of their code (e.g. without making their code use parent windows
> explicitly).
> IIUC the use of window-nest for that purpose only works if the
> application limits itself to using 2 windows within that "sub-frame",

What makes you think that?  You can let-bind `window-nest' to t around a
split and get an extra parent around the resulting two windows.  After
that you can split those windows any which way you want and can get an
arbitrary number of windows within a "sub-frame".  The manual explicitly
uses the term "always" in the sentence

     If this variable is always non-`nil', a frame's window
     tree is a binary tree so every window but the frame's root window
     has exactly one sibling.

> so
> it's not ideal.

`window-nest' is aimed at providing a safe low-level mechanism to
construct and preserve parent windows.  Everything else can be easily
built in Elisp on top of that, like atomic or side windows.

martin