Indentation and visual-line-mode

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Indentation and visual-line-mode
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 10:34:25 +0100

Hi all,

in some document that's written by me and others, the convention is that
every paragraph is written on one line, probably because the others
don't use emacs and their editors have no equivalent of `M-q'.

Anyway, when editing such files, I enable visual-line-mode to make my
editing more convenient.  However, there's one thing I'm missing.  If a
line is visually wrapped around, it always starts at column zero, even
if the logical line is indented.

For example, if the window was 25 columns wide, I get

  \begin{itemize}
  \item Foo bar baz foo
bar baz foo
  \item Bar baz foo bar
baz
  \end{itemize}

which looks pretty weird.  Is there some option that allows the wrapped
lines to be visually indented relative to the current logical line?

  \begin{itemize}
  \item Foo bar baz foo
  bar baz foo
  \item Bar baz foo bar
  baz
  \end{itemize}

Checking the docs, I think something like that can be achieved using the
variables or text properties `line-prefix' and `wrap-prefix', but what
is a stretch-glyph?

Bye,
Tassilo
--