Re: Windows' "split status"

From: Nix
Subject: Re: Windows' "split status"
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 12:00:30 +0000

On 25 Nov 2011, martin rudalics outgrape:

>> Of course.  But it was you who said that "always" is ambiguous, so I
>> suggested a synonym that isn't.
>
> "always" is ambiguous because within executing `split-window-internal'
> or `delete-window-internal' the property doesn't necessarily hold.

Uh, why on earth would a user reading a docstring care about that? The
insides of Emacs's implementation are of no interest to her. Lots of
Emacs invariants don't hold while various built-in functions are
executing (in fact, no invariant relying on more state than a single
atomic variable can hold at all times). That doesn't mean they're any
less invariants at the Lisp level. (For that matter, there are
invariants that hold at the user level which do not hold at the Lisp
level: they too are still invariants from the user's perspective, even
if not from the Lisp programmer's.)

I thought this was documentation for Lisp developers, not for Emacs
maintainers. If it's for Emacs maintainers it's probably in the wrong
place (though having such documentation is praiseworthy).

--
NULL && (void)