Re: immediate strings #2

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: immediate strings #2
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 11:43:16 -0500

On Nov 30, 2011, at 04:35, Paul Eggert wrote:
> You can get the other bit from 'size_byte' if you change it
> so that it's always nonnegative.  This can be done by using
> 0 rather than -1 as its special value indicating that it
> is unibyte and the actual byte size is given in 'size'.

Currently it appears that we can have both unibyte and multibyte zero-length
strings, and the multibyteness is preserved if you "concat" with a simple ASCII
string.  I'm not sure any existing code in the wild would care, but it sounds
like what you're suggesting would be a functional change that makes that no
longer work.

Ken