Re: Corrected tarballs for Emacs 23.2 and 23.3

From: Ulrich Mueller
Subject: Re: Corrected tarballs for Emacs 23.2 and 23.3
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 09:51:33 +0100

>> Gentoo will continue distributing the 23.3a tarball, because 23.3b
>> would cause increased build times for our users and changes to
>> unrelated installed files.

> The timestamps in 23.3b are indeed messed up. I was going to suggest
> some kind of fix involving touching various files, but frankly it is
> probably a whole lot simpler to simply start from the 23.3a tarfile,
> and just patch the etc/grammars directory with that from 23.3b, if
> you care about having those files.

Indeed, we could add the diff between 23.3a and 23.3b (about 65 kB
uncompressed) to our patchball. We'd still have to distribute the
problematic 23.3a tarball though, and mirror it ourselves, because
it's gone from GNU mirrors.

It would be too much to hope for a 23.3c tarball with timestamps
fixed, I suppose?

> Or distribute a separate package emacs23-something that just adds
> them to an existing installation. Then zero extra build time! :)

Yes, and maximum confusion for users as an added bonus. ;-)

Ulrich