Re: Merging Org 7.8.02 before Emacs 24.1

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: Merging Org 7.8.02 before Emacs 24.1
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2011 14:32:01 -0700

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

> Bastien <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> 2. New Babel syntax: Eric Schulte went through a rich discussion with
>>    the Org Mode folks to simplify the syntax of code blocks.  Releasing
>>    Emacs 24.1 with the old syntax would expose many users to bad habits
>>    and force us to strongly suggest using latest Org instead of the one
>>    that comes with Emacs.  No one would benefit from this.
>
> Please provide some more information about the plan for Org development.
> Suppose we merge 7.8.02 into trunk; what assurance would we have that,
> within months, the Org team wouldn't switch tack and "strongly suggest"
> the latest Org containing yet more features, rather than 7.8.02?  That
> would defeat the purpose of a feature freeze.

>From the perspective of the Org-mode development mailing list this
latest 7.8 release was seen as "the last chance" to make changes before
the Emacs24 merge.  Hence, many of the pending updates (e.g., the syntax
standardization mentioned above) were specifically completed with the
Emacs24 merge in mind.

I can assure you that there will not be another patch between now and
the Emacs24 release which we (the Org-mode devs) will recommend as
strongly as this patch is recommended.  However (as Bastien mentioned)
development is ongoing and if the release of Emacs24 is truly many
months down the line there is a possibility that another merge will be
suggested.  In either case I think merging 7.8.02 now would be for the
best.

Thanks,

--
Eric Schulte