PHP with exuberant ctags will not show variables

From: drev
Subject: PHP with exuberant ctags will not show variables
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2011 02:13:35 -0800 (PST)

Using exuberant ctags for parsing PHP files, I can see classes, functions
and includes in the TAGS Imenu, but not the variables (obviously I cannot
jump to a variable definition).

For testing purpose, I issued the command etags -R in a terminal, and the
generated TAGS file have the variable "definition" (which here means I guess
the earliest assigned value), so it's probably not a exuberant ctags
limitation.

Is it a know problem or am I doing something wrong ?

(ps : the same problem occurs with Perl, but no problems at all with c and
c++, maybe it's a matter with dynamic languages ?)