Re: Mac OS-compatible ports

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: Mac OS-compatible ports
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 09:43:30 +0900

On 2012/01/01, at 23:06, Ted Zlatanov wrote:

> YM> Also, I would like to note that some of recent improvements to
> YM> Mac OS X and iOS are provided outside Cocoa, especially if they
> YM> are not directly related to GUI.  They are not classified as
> YM> Carbon, but they are also C APIs and not provided by GNUstep.
> YM> For example, Grand Central Dispatch (GCD) I mentioned in the
> YM> `select' emulation without periodic polling is a C API and
> YM> provided by both Mac OS X and iOS, but not by GNUstep.
>
> YM>   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2011-12/msg00694.html
>
> I recall that API was brought into Mac OS X recently and is not
> available in older versions of the same OS, at least for PowerPC
> architecture.  I think it makes sense to use it opportunistically, but
> if using it in the NS port makes the NS port incompatible with GNUstep,
> then that's a harder decision.  I'm not qualified to make that decision,
> in any case.

The Mac port provides a fallback using CFRunLoopSource for older
versions of Mac OS X, but again it is a C API supported by both
Mac OS X and iOS but not provided by GNUstep.

Sometimes adopting new features inspires some idea of improvement
even in fallback codes.  GCD in the `select' emulation was such a
case.  The current fallback code made after the GCD version is
more efficient than what I implemented as a `select' emulation
without periodic polling in Emacs 22 Carbon port.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden