Re: GnuTLS for W32

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: GnuTLS for W32
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 19:10:14 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

[snip]

>> Where should this DLL be written?
>
> To the directory where emacs.exe lives.

Keep in mind that such operation may require Admin privileges. Writing
under the user's home directory doesn't require elevated
privileges. Ted, please see my other response to Eli. Writing on the
under the same directory where the Elisp packages retrieved by
package.el should no pose problems.

>> Does W32 have APIs or mechanisms to update DLLs safely?

The standard MS installers have a mechanism for detecting when a dll is
in use and, if the result is positive, arrange things for updating it on
the next restart or login. A poor's man method for detecting when a dll
is in use is just trying to overwrite it (after you know that you have
write access to the file).

[snip]