Re: GnuTLS for W32

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: GnuTLS for W32
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 16:52:48 +0100

address@hidden writes:

> Here is my advice based on some commercial installers I worked on.

[snipped a chunk of good advice]

> If I were to do this I would make a build bot that produced daily
> binaries of the installer of a complete Emacs installation including the
> dll files. I would not bother with partial updating of particular dll:s
> at this time.

I used NSIS lots of years ago. Finally abandoned it because its poor
support for partial updates. At the time some people were discussing the
possibility of adding a component for updating a package through the
Internet. Like a network installer but with the added capability of
re-running and updating the previously installed files. Guess that
nothing came out of it.

> Later, I would implement libffi support in Emacs, by including Guile as
> an Emacs dependency. Then we could have uniform soft dll support, and
> get a step on the way on including Guile in the Emacs core. But I digress.

I'm eager to see how well Guile competes with Emacs Lisp as a
convenience for extending Emacs :-)