Re: Memory again

From: emacs user
Subject: Re: Memory again
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 17:53:44 +0200

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 4:28 PM, Chong Yidong <address@hidden> wrote:
> emacs user <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> For whatever it's worth, I need to kill my emacs (GNU Emacs 24.0.92.1
>> x86_64-apple-darwin11.2.0, NS apple-appkit-1138.23) several times a
>> day when it reached over 300mb or it will crash.  This memory usage is
>> *after* I kill all buffers and do M-x garbage collect.  I submitted a
>> couple of bug reports, please see
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2011-12/msg00404.html
>> am happy to do additional tests if anyone could guide me.
>
> Is your Emacs compiled with GnuTLS support?  If so, could you check if
> it makes a difference compiling it without GnuTLS support?

I tried:
cd /usr/local/emacs/trunk; make clean; ./autogen.sh; ./configure
--with-ns --without_gnutls; make install

and this still leads to RSS growing even if I kill all buffers, and
then to a crash.  all it takes to see and reproduce this is to edit a
large file, kill it, and see that memory does not reduce back even
after M-x garbage-collect.  Please see
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2012-01/msg00206.html
and note that aquamacs based on 23.3 does not seem to have this problem.

please let me know if there is anything else I can do.