Re: Some obsolete/unused/garbage things around window code?

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Some obsolete/unused/garbage things around window code?
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 13:14:54 +0100

> For frames, C pointer value of 'struct frame' is used, i.e.:
> sprintf (buf, " %p", XFRAME (obj));

Which is awkward and usually complemented by the buffer shown in the
frame's selected window which hardly improves anything.

> Why it should be done in a different way for windows?

Comparing two sequence numbers, you can always tell which window is
older.  And you usually can identify all windows coming from one and the
same session.  So you can use number when saving window states to disk.

Finally, using sequence numbers we can replay a sequence of window
creation/deletion functions in different sessions and compare the
outcome.  This will be useful when we finally get around writing a
testsuite for the window handling code.

That said, I think that sequence numbers for frames would be useful too.

martin