Re: face vs. mouse-face text property

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: face vs. mouse-face text property
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 07:19:06 -0500

> From: Michael Heerdegen <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 22:34:32 +0100
>
> My question is: is this a bug, or intended behavior?

It is intended behavior, in that the implementation of this feature
explicitly supports mouse highlight only on the following parts of the
display:

 . mode line
 . header line
 . left and right margins (NOT fringes!)
 . text

> If it is intended, why, and is there a way to get the mouse
> highlighting nevertheless work or to override the default behavior?

There's no way around this current, no.

> In my scenario, it is important that the mouse-face works also for
> strings consisting of newlines, to indicate that it's clickable
> text.

Could you please describe your scenario in more detail?  Empty lines
have no text, so it's unclear how can you talk about "clickable text"
in that case.