Re: Last call for lua-mode contributors

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Last call for lua-mode contributors
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 12:20:30 +0900

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>> [lua-mode redefines "_" as a word-component; it shouldn't, as it
>> really messes with users' instincts, and makes Emacs commands less
>> useful.  Historically this was often done by language-modes as an
> BTW, this reminds me: why do word-based movement commands even care
> about the syntax-table?  I understand that it's the way they're
> currently implemented, but AFAICT we don't actually want their behavior
> to depend on the major mode, do we?

Dunno, I suppose sometimes maybe it is reasonable to allow the details
to be tweaked; it's "consistency of feel" which is the goal, which may
not always entail literal consistency....

For instance:  is a single-quote part of a word?

In text-mode, it is, and that makes some sense, because single-quotes
are mostly followed by a single letter to form a contracted thingie.
Having word commands stop at the single-letter boundary in such cases
would be pretty annoying and not particularly useful, and generally
wouldn't feel "right" (even though there's a visual boundary).

However in some programming language mode that uses single-quotes like
Ada does, as an operator, you really want them to be punctuation,
because they are used to separate independent pieces that are thought of
as independent.

Discriminate, v.i. To note the particulars in which one person or thing is,
if possible, more objectionable than another.