Re: face vs. mouse-face text property

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: face vs. mouse-face text property
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 10:01:04 -0500

>>> Therefore, I think if we want to be able to display selectable
>>> newlines, we need to have a special way to display such newlines,
>>> e.g. "<NL>" or some such.
>> I'd suggest \n rather than <NL>, since it's already used at many other
>> places in Emacs (tho it's not often visible to the "end user").
> Maybe ␤ and ⇥ would be useful here?

Maybe, but I think not: I don't think "␤" is more commonly recognized as
newline than "\n", so it's not worth the trouble of having to deal with
cases where that char can't be displayed.
Same thing for ⇥ (which on my current setup displays as something
barely recognizable): I actually wondered what you intended to use it
for, so it's not obvious enough.  I think for TAB and SPC, the problem
is only when they're at the beginning/end of the completion element (or
when the element is made of nothing else than TABs and SPCs), so I think
that adding quotes around the element will be more clear.

        Stefan