Re: [h-e-w] bug#10612: GnuTLS bundled with the windows Emacs binaries

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] bug#10612: GnuTLS bundled with the windows Emacs binaries
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 09:59:53 -0600

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 23:39:36 +0200 Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

>> I did offer to set up a BuildBot to produce those DLLs

EZ> How can anyone trust a build done by a bot for a port to a platform
EZ> that is hardly if at all supported by the mainstream developers?  And
EZ> a build of critical software such as GnuTLS at that?  What if it fails
EZ> one of the tests in the test suite?

Someone has to do the work.  I offered to do it, setting up a BuildBot
so I don't have to do it manually every time.  I will obviously make it
run the tests and if it fails, it will not deliver the DLLs.  Do you
have a better proposal (e.g. you want to be in charge of the builds or
you know volunteers who want to do it)?  I'm certainly not looking for
more work for myself, but it seems no one else wants to automate this.

The fact that the GnuTLS developers don't support W32 well is partly due
to the lack of binary builds for that platform.  I think things will
improve as up-to-date DLLs become available.

EZ> You (or anyone else) can find the prebuilt Windows binaries of
EZ> GnuTLS 3.0.9 here:
>>
EZ> http://sourceforge.net/projects/ezwinports/files/
>>
>> That's not what I asked, though I truly appreciate the work you've
>> done.  I mean if I, the user, see that announcement, it would be
>> nice if it told me where to find the GnuTLS DLLs, and even nicer if they
>> came with the binary.

EZ> The URLs for optional DLLs are in the file README.W32 that is part of
EZ> the binary distribution.

I'm asking *Christoph* if he could add that URL to the announcement for
the W32 binaries.  I think it would be a courtesy to the users.  I know
where to find the URL, but many users won't.

Ted