Re: Included libraries in the Windows binary distribution

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Included libraries in the Windows binary distribution
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2012 18:32:24 +0200

> Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2012 20:00:23 -0700
> From: Christoph Scholtes <address@hidden>
> CC: Emacs-Devel devel <address@hidden>
>
> I downloaded the files from your site, applied the patches and
> configure.bat fails with the following error:
>
> In file included from
> D:/devel/emacs/libs/libxml2-2.7.8/include/libxml2/libxml/parser.h:807:0,
>                   from
> D:/devel/emacs/libs/libxml2-2.7.8/include/libxml2/libxml/HTMLparser.h:16,
>                   from junk.c:1:
> D:/devel/emacs/libs/libxml2-2.7.8/include/libxml2/libxml/encoding.h:28:19:
> fatal error: iconv.h: No such file or directory
> compilation terminated.
>
> Looks like there is an dependency on libiconv, which I don't have
> installed.

Right.  Please install this:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/MinGW/Base/libiconv/libiconv-1.13.1-1/libiconv-1.13.1-1-mingw32-dev.tar.lzma/download

> Should these dependencies be included in your libxml2 download?

I'd rather not.  As much as I hate requesting users to download
dependencies, I'll have to punt in this case: the above tarball
includes more than just one header file, and is really needed if one
wants to link against libxml2.  (Emacs doesn't link against the
library, but that's not the usual case for library users.)

I will add this requirement to the relevant README files, including in
Emacs.