Re: Emacs 23.4 Updated Windows Binaries published

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Emacs 23.4 Updated Windows Binaries published
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2012 00:46:02 +0900

Lennart Borgman writes:

 > > Let me clarify that as Paul and others point out, you are in violation
 > > of the letter of the GPL, which requires actual source, not a pointer,
 > > but that's not what I meant.
 >
 > I do not understand what that would mean. Is not all you can give just
 > a pointer? (Whether it is in the form of a http URL or a DOI URI does
 > not really matter, or?)

If you're providing an archive, of course you can include the source
in that archive.

If you don't include source in the archive with the binary, I
interpret clause 6(d) to mean that if the GnuTLS binary is available
at

    http://www.gnu.org/projects/emacs/w32/contrib/gnutls-999.zip

the GnuTLS source can be at

    http://www.gnu.org/projects/emacs/w32/contrib/gnutls-999-src.zip

or similar.  No explicit URI needed. :-)

Or you can provide a README-GnuTLS-source.txt or similar at

    http://www.gnu.org/projects/emacs/w32/contrib/README-GnuTLS-source.txt

that gives an arbitrary URL.  See my other post for why clauses 6(a),
6(b), 6(c), and 6(e) don't apply here.