RE: Tabs are ready? -> Let us give a definition of tabs.

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Tabs are ready? -> Let us give a definition of tabs.
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 11:54:44 -0800

> I'd actually very much like a set of per-window tabs
> which recorded not a single buffer per tab but an
> entire window-configuration per tab.

I don't really want to delve into this discussion now, but I'd say that a tab
should be about as general as a menu item.  Yes, I know there is pushback by
some from that level of generality - already seen that the last time this topic
went 'round.  It's still my view, so far.

In particular, what you describe wrt a window config could as easily be extended
to a desktop (i.e., what desktop.el traffics in), and from there to a desktop
bookmark (which Bookmark+ offers).  And so on.  Why not?

The general idea is about switching to some alternative config/state, which
remains associated with a particular tab.  That's a bit less general than a
completely arbitrary action (function), but not by a lot.

Why prescribe that the only such alternative configs/states supported/allowed
are windows or frames or buffers or window/frame configs?

Anway, don't be surprised if I bow out now.  I don't really have anything
specific to say about this at the moment.  And I do realize that this is a
minority view (probably a minority of one).