Re: Tabs are ready? -> Let us give a definition of tabs.

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Tabs are ready? -> Let us give a definition of tabs.
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 01:15:52 +0900

Alin Soare writes:

 > Without events, do you have a concrete idea how to signal to a
 > hidden tab that something changed , such that it changes the color?

C-h f set-process-sentinel and C-h f next-event, please.  Yes, I know
that's gross and disgusting if you're used to working with modern
widget sets, but that's how things are done in Emacsen.  Think of it
as very low-level, and build the nice API you want from that.  Tab
controls are UI; they don't need to be massively fast or anything.

 > I do not need a very limited API. I need a programmable tab bar.

I have one.  Emacs won't accept it for legal reasons.  I see no reason
to do more work on it (it wasn't my baby in the first place, so I'm
not up on the internals), but I'm happy to offer API advice based on
my experience with the tab control I have.