Re: Windows 64 port

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Windows 64 port
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 15:46:22 -0800

On 02/20/2012 03:11 PM, Fabrice Popineau wrote:
> in several places the compiler (not gcc, but msvc) inserted sign
> extent instructions.  I tracked them down to mismatches between
> ints and intptr_t or ptrdiff_t. I fixed them by removing all
> compiler warnings of this kind.

OK, but we need to worry only about code that is actually wrong
unless the types are changed.  Extending an int to a long long is
not a bug by itself, and most likely won't even lead to a bug
since it cannot lose information, so most likely there's no need
to worry about inserted sign-extend instructions.  Even converting
a long long to an int is not necessarily a bug: it's a problem
only if the actual value at run-time does not fit in int range.

In short, we need not worry about size mismatches in general; only
mismatches that cause real problems.  In this context an MSVC
warning by itself does not count as a real problem.