"not enough room for load commands"

From: Randal L. Schwartz
Subject: "not enough room for load commands"
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 06:57:16 -0800

Starting about a month ago, if I update my sources (which I try to
do daily) and simply type "make mostlyclean all install", I get the
following fail:

    Writing LC_LOAD_DYLIB     command
    Writing LC_LOAD_DYLIB     command
    Writing LC_LOAD_DYLIB     command
    Writing LC_LOAD_DYLIB     command
    Writing LC_LOAD_DYLIB     command
    Writing LC_LOAD_DYLIB     command
    Writing LC_LOAD_DYLIB     command
    Writing LC_LOAD_DYLIB     command
    Writing LC_LOAD_DYLIB     command
    Writing LC_FUNCTION_STARTS command
    unexec: not enough room for load commands for new __DATA segments
    make[1]: *** [bootstrap-emacs] Error 1
    make: *** [src] Error 2

When that happens, I fall back on:

"make clean bootstrap install"

and that works.

But I'm wondering if something is broken in mostlyclean recently, or if
there's a build procedural change that I missed in the mailing list.
"mostlyclean" worked for at least a year before this.

<address@hidden> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>