Re: example of multi-line font-locking

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: example of multi-line font-locking
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 16:53:58 -0500

> I asked this question on stackoverflow:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9452615/emacs-is-there-a-clear-example-of-multi-line-fontlocking

> Can anyone point me to an example of how to use the features described in
> the manual?

Which feature?  There are various.

Most of the "multiline font locking" features are aimed at solving the
situation were a single font-lock rule can match a chunk of text that
spans several lines (e.g. putting a bold font on text within
"\textbf{...}").

For your case (of highlighting the CSS or Javascript part of an HTML
buffer), I think that a "multi-major-mode" approach is more promising,
tho this is an even harder problem to solve than mere multiline
font locking.

        Stefan