Re: "Loading"

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: "Loading"
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 12:55:11 +0100

Dave Abrahams <address@hidden> writes:

>> The modeline is designed to provide indications to the user. I
>> believe, it is the natural place for showing unfinished network
>> activities.
>>
>> If it cannot be a spinning char due to the permanent refresh, than it
>> might be some coloured text, as running processes show already.
>
> Yeah... but of course I'm looking at three modelines in my frame right
> now.  The problem of having no central place to display global state
> is well known around here, though.  Maybe just use the modeline of the
> leftmost window immediately above the minibuffer?

Why is that a "global state"?  I mean, the running process is associated
with a buffer (e.g., a tramp buffer visiting a remote file, or a gnus
article buffer that has spawned several download processes), so I'd
expect the process activity indicator in the mode line of exactly that
buffer, no?

Bye,
Tassilo