Re: gnus with bbdb article display problem

From: Vitalie Spinu
Subject: Re: gnus with bbdb article display problem
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 14:55:47 +0200

  > Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:
  >> Unfortunately now when pressing RET in the summary buffer instead of
  >> having the article displayed in the lower window, the BBDB buffer is
  >> displayed instead.

  > I don't use bbdb, so I can't debug this.  Could you try to add a
  > `debug-on-entry' on whatever bbdb function is popping up the bbdb buffer
  > (or something), and then we may see what's causing this?

Hi Lars,

I can reproduce this. And I don't know how to debug this since it's not
an error.

It happens on collection of new emails by bbdb. When RET is hit in
summary buffer, the article is displayed as normal but bbdb buffer
covers summary buffer. If I press SPC it bbdb removes the buffer and
pops up the question "Add address xxx to "yyy"? (y or n)". If I press
"q" bbdb disappears but "-> " in minibuffer stays and some funny stuff
starts happening. Gnus shortcuts are not working properly anymore and
bbdb questions popup till I hit C-g several times.

Any ideas?

I've got this in my bbdb config:

(setq
 bbdb-check-zip-codes-p nil
 bbdb-default-area-code +31
 bbdb-default-country "Netherlands"
 bbdb-offer-save 1                        ;; 1 means save-without-asking
 bbdb-use-pop-up nil                        ;; allow popups for addresses
 bbdb-electric-p t                        ;; be disposable with SPC
 bbdb-popup-target-lines  1               ;; very small
 bbdb-dwim-net-address-allow-redundancy nil ;; always use full name
 bbdb-quiet-about-name-mismatches 5       ;; show name-mismatches 5 secs
                                        ; bbdb-always-add-address nil
     ;; add new addresses to existing...contacts automatically
 bbdb-canonicalize-redundant-nets-p t     ;; address@hidden => address@hidden
 bbdb-completion-type nil                 ;; complete on anything
 bbdb-complete-name-allow-cycling t       ;; cycle through matches
 bbdb-message-caching-enabled t           ;; be fast
 bbdb-use-alternate-names t               ;; use AKA
 bbdb-elided-display t                    ;; single-line addresses
 ;; auto-create addresses
 bbdb/mail-auto-create-p        'bbdb-ignore-some-messages-hook
 bbdb/news-auto-create-p        'bbdb-ignore-some-messages-hook
 bbdb-ignore-some-messages-alist '(
                                   ( "From" .
"no.?reply\\|DAEMON\\|daemon\\|facebookmail\\|twitter\\|gmane\\|reply.github")
                                   ( "To"   .
"googlegroups\\|r-help\\|ess-help\\|r-project\\|mozdev\\|manipulatr\\|Conkeror")
                                   ( "Cc"   .
"r-help\\|ess-help\\|r-project\\|mozdev\\|manipulatr\\|Conkeror")
                                   ( "Subject".
"\\[R\\]\\|manipulatr\\|Conkeror")
                                   ( "Newsgroups" . "gmane"))
 bbdb-north-american-phone-numbers nil
 ;; auto-create notes
 bbdb-notice-hook (quote (bbdb-auto-notes-hook))
 bbdb-auto-notes-alist  (quote (("To"
                                 ("ess" . "ESS")
                                 ("spinuvit" . "Personal mail"))
                                ("From"
                                 ("eur.nl" company "Erasmus University
Rotterdam")
                                 ("Organization" (".*" company 0 nil))
                                 )))
 bbdb-auto-notes-ignore (quote (("Organization" . "^Gatewayed from\\\\|^Source
only"))) ;; ignores only single field
 bbdb-auto-notes-ignore-all nil  ;; looks in whole message
 )

GNU Emacs 24.0.94.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu)

Ma Gnus v.04 as from 28th of February and the most recent head, both
have this behavior.

Vitalie.