Re: patch vs. overwrite in bzr

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: patch vs. overwrite in bzr
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 12:31:42 -0400

> In a nutshell: It's more or less a GUI to do cherry picking with bzr and
> marking commits as 'applied', 'ignored' etc. and saving that state in
> the repository between sessions. In the end it will work in both
> directions, but currently I'm concentrating on the Emacs -> CEDET, since
> this will be the first thing to do next. Also, for the other direction
> we will probably use a dedicated branch like 'for-emacs' or something
> like that and not directly push into Emacs.

The Gnus guys also do two-way syncing and have to solve the same
problem.  A generic tool would be awesome.  I think two-way syncing of
branches is a major problem with current VCS technology and I'm eagerly
awaiting a good generic solution to it.  I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Even better if it can be run from a cron job (i.e. fully automatic and
deals with conflicts somehow (obviously, it can't resolve them, so it
needs to store them somewhere, make sure someone will see them and will
be able to resolve them, ...)).

        Stefan