Re: Release branch plans

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Release branch plans
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2012 22:03:10 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2012 13:41:59 -0400
>
> > Yes, you do, at least what _I_ am talking about.  I explained this at
> > least twice in the past: the history is all messed up on the trunk as
> > result of this.
>
> No, it's not messed up.  Maybe you don't like it (not sure why), and
> maybe `bzr log' shows it in a weird or messed up way (in which case you
> should take it up with the bzr guys), but the history itself is very
> much not messed up at all.

If it shows to humans as messed up, then for all practical purposes it
_is_ messed up.  History is not an abstract feature, it is only
important because it is useful to humans who use such bzr commands as
"log", "diff", "annotate", etc.  (Well, it is also useful to bzr for
merging, but since the branch and the trunk diverge anyway, and will
never converge, this part is not too important in this case.)

> > You disagree with this being a problem, but I submit
> > that this is akin to saying that the history is not important.
>
> I care a lot about the VCS history metadata, which is why I insist that
> we merge from the release branch onto the trunk.

If you care about history, you should care first and foremost about
how it is presented through the bzr commands that explore it.
Otherwise, the history is all but useless.

> > Maybe we should take a step back and ask ourselves why do we need to
> > merge from the stable branch to the trunk at all?
>
> Very simple: we want to make sure all the bug-fixes we install on the
> stable branch don't get lost on the next release, and we want to reflect
> this info into the VCS history so the VCS knows what's going on.

What do you mean by "don't get lost"?  Installing them on the trunk
separately, or through cherry-picking, will get them to trunk all the
same, no?