Re: patch vs. overwrite in bzr

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: patch vs. overwrite in bzr
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2012 18:57:37 +0300

> From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2012 17:24:37 +0200
>
> If Emacs shifted to a "continuous development" model (with branches
> being forked off for stabilisation now and then), that might change
> ... stuff.  That might not be practical, though, as previously pointed
> out.  Virtually all the developers would "live" in the trunk version of
> Emacs, so the forked-off stable version would get less love and testing.
>
> I don't know.  Would it be worth trying to shifting to that model after
> Emacs 24.1?

We could try, but I doubt it will work.  For it to work, we need
enough people on board to continuously take care of all the important
parts of the package (including the documentation and other mundane
tasks).  What happens now is that the same few need to do all of it,
which precludes the model you hope for.