Re: The grand indentation unification project

From: Daniel Hackney
Subject: Re: The grand indentation unification project
Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 13:32:13 -0400

I really don't want to waste any more of people's time, and I know this is a very minor point, so please feel free to say "this isn't worth the electrons it's printed on" and I'll let it go.

I do think having a uniform whitespace style (no spaces before tabs, etc.) would be useful, but it isn't worth any real mental effort.

"Miles Bader" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Daniel Hackney <address@hidden> writes:
> > I understand not wanting to reawaken this bikeshedding thread, but I
> > would like to submit this humble one-liner which goes through all of
> > the elisp source and indents each file.
>
> Your original proposal (".dir-locals => indent-tabs-mode = t") seems
> fairly innocuous, as it won't, for the most part, change any line that
> isn't being changed already for some reason.  So it would basically
> would result in minimal churn.
>
> _This_, on the other hand, would probably result in _massive_
> pointless code churn...

Yes, it would, but the idea would be to set `indent-tabs-mode' to t, add `whitespace-cleanup to `before-save-hook', and have a single massive, horrible, ugly "whitespace unification" commit, and then everything after that follows the tab indent and whitespace styles. That way, you'd have one big patch with all the whitespace changes, but future patches wouldn't have any whitespace-only diffs.