Re: feature request: view part of file

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: feature request: view part of file
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 02:32:38 +0900

Sam Steingold writes:

 > Also, does anyone know what xemacs uses for viewing huge files?

Big buffers.  XEmacs topped out at 1GB buffers (on 32-bit platforms)
in 1998 or so, and since then there's been no serious demand for an
increase in supported file size -- we never even bothered with large
file support on 32-bit platforms.  (There was pushback against
suggestions that the 31-bit type be characters to directly support the
ISO 10646 character model, so some users did care about files bigger
than 512MB.)

I imagine some people have personal hacks, but as far as I know there
is no huge file viewer in our distribution.