Re: Aligned blocks management: obsolete?

From: Dmitry Antipov
Subject: Re: Aligned blocks management: obsolete?
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 20:51:08 +0400

[some stuff from old discussion below]

On 12/12/2011 10:27 PM, Paul Eggert wrote:

On 12/12/11 06:07, Dmitry Antipov wrote:
I suppose that any non-ancient glibc malloc
doesn't require such a glitch in lisp_align_malloc any more

This sounds correct to me as well, though I can't cite
chapter and verse offhand.  Certainly the posix_memalign
implementation has mutated significantly since glibc 2.3.2
came out in 2003, and any performance measurements
based on 2.3.2 are suspect now.

More generally, if some cruft was put into alloc.c long ago
for performance reasons, and if we can no longer demonstrate
that the cruft improves performance significantly
on currently-used platforms, then surely it's OK to remove it
after the feature freeze is over.  Cruft like that has a real
maintenance cost, and there's no point keeping it
if it doesn't actually have a performance benefit.

I believe this becomes more and more actual because more and more
of ancient systems with poor malloc implementations falls into their
graves; this cleanup assumes that every malloc implementation
has reasonably efficient posix_memalign or memalign at least.

Dmitry