Re: Regular crashes with abort() in mark_maybe_pointer with trunk

From: Dmitry Antipov
Subject: Re: Regular crashes with abort() in mark_maybe_pointer with trunk
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2012 09:25:17 +0400

On 07/01/2012 12:17 AM, Julien Danjou wrote:

Here's one. I was not able to compile with --enable-checking=all (one of
the .el file seemed to take forever to compile, did not dig into this).
I don't have the core file, I launched emacs through gdb but I can
probably get one if that's better.

Hm, this crash is not in mark_maybe_pointer (but your previous two crash
reports was).  String compaction code is known to be quite stable.

If full bootstrap with '-O0' and --enable-checking=all is painfully slow
for you, try normal bootstrap and then just recompile with these options.
Thus you can avoid rebuilding .elc with the very slow Emacs instance.

Please describe your environment.  Are you sure that your compiler is not
buggy?

Final note: make sure that your hardware is not broken.  Random crashes
is a well-known symptom of bad RAM.

Dmitry