Re: Inefficiency in Bgotoifnil byte-code instruction

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Inefficiency in Bgotoifnil byte-code instruction
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2012 19:02:38 -0400

> I took the "value" approach because the bytecode values are fixed, and I
> thought it was safer to be explicit about them.
> The backslashes are just needed because I made one big #define.

Yes, as I said, I think it's OK.  Maybe better would be if the threaded
version actually checked that the `value' is correct (i.e. is one more
than the previous one) rather than just ignore that argument.

> Another approach (used in gcc, gdb, etc) is to put the opcode defines
> into a ".def" file and then include it in multiple places.

I'm not sure it's better, since, as you say, the values are fixed by
external factors.

Feel free to install,

        Stefan