Re: Monitoring KeyRelease

From: Alexander Klimov
Subject: Re: Monitoring KeyRelease
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2012 01:05:00 +0300

On Fri, 6 Jul 2012, chad wrote:
> Have you tried this on a terminal?  My understanding is that it just
> won't work on most terminals, but it's been a long time (~15 years)
> since I actually looked.

I have not tried, but you are right -- it will not work on terminal,
at least not on remote host, since such terminals do not provide an
analog of KeyRelease.

OTOH, there are many features in Emacs that do not work in every UI
(say, in-line images), but it does not make these features less useful
in situations where they do work.

> At the time, it seemed like letter-based modifiers were routinely
> unclean. There were some combinations that were workable, but they
> depended on the keyboard layout (basically, you take advantage of
> the qwerty pretzel-combos).  The spacebar is a pretty solid
> potential modifier, because almost everyone hits it with their
> thumb, but there's some annoying IP in this area.

Probably the whole idea that modifier must be a separate key is an
atavism of the mechanical design: on a computer keyboard any key can
be potentially used as a modifier. The advantage is a reduction of RSI
since pressing a key in the home row is easier than pressing the
proper modifier.

--
Regards,
ASK