Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r109187: Adjust consing_since_gc

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r109187: Adjust consing_since_gc when objects are explicitly freed.
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 20:10:56 +0900

Dmitry Antipov writes:

 > IMHO, mostly because consing_since_gc means "total size of new objects which
 > are managed by GC". If we manage some of them by hand, we shouldn't allow GC
 > to overestimate an amount of work to be done.

Why is it an overestimate of the work to be done?  AFAIK, these
objects come from the same pools, and they are not necessarily short-
lived in the sense that they are allocated and deallocated before
other objects become allocated.  If my assumption about the memory
pools is correct, a no-see-um cons is just as likely to overflow a
pool, and somewhat likely to contribute to overflow of later
allocations.  If it's a container and live when GC occurs, it will
need to be traversed.  So it does contribute to the work to be done,
although not as likely to contribute as GC-managed objects are.