Re: Extra info about 109170

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Extra info about 109170
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 19:06:53 -0400

>> > Any speedup is good.  I just don't see how speeding up kill-buffer is
>> > something people should be using up their time for.
>> The purpose was not to speed up kill-buffer but byte-compilation, AFAICT.
> I was talking about the result, not the purpose.

The problem was that kill-buffer was taking up more than 10% of the time
of execution, which is simply unjustified.  I only know of 2 ways to fix
such a problem:
- speed up kill-buffer.
- call kill-buffer less often.
(tho I guess you can also "fix" it by slowing down everything else,
but that's not very interesting, is it?).
So unless you mean that the right thing to do was to reduce calls to
kill-buffer, I don't know what else you might have wanted.
And yes, maybe there are too many calls to kill-buffer.

        Stefan