Re: Emacs on OS X development

From: Pavlo Martynenko
Subject: Re: Emacs on OS X development
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 15:17:42 +0300

On 25 Jul 2012, at 10:17, chad <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> I zoomed in on your screenshot (specifically on the word `This' at the top)
>>> and did not see any font differences.  I do see the inter-line spacing
>>> being different, and I prefer the NS port version.  It's possible that I
>>> could find some if I looked harder.
> Here's a screenshot of the two renderings of `This' side by side.  Can you
> point out the differences between them, so that we (by which I mostly mean
> `someone more knowledgable than I') can look into the problems?
> <ThisThis.png>

Actually good example how small things (font rendering or inter-line spacing)
can have great impact. There is more than one word in the frame even more than
one line, and summed together they can change overall perception of the hole
frame making it looks faint.

> I'm not sure what you meant by `true brown', but if you're talking about the
> info headers being brown on the ns port and red on the mac port, the face
> uses the color `brown', so I'm not sure that helps.  Do you not see that the
> red text in the mac port labelled itself `brown'?  Is this a color-perception
> issue, maybe on my part?

They values are different #b1784b vs #af4d4c. And I wander where is the true
one. And how it can impact rainbow-mode. Emacs has modes for css editing and
makes hints for designer by changing the background of the colour number and it
has to do it properly.

>> Yes in slow and bad networks. It looks like after loosing some packets comes
>> problem with C-g, and the only way was to killall -9 Emacs.
> Are these network connections made from within emacs, or problems with using
> emacs over a network connection?

From emacs by using tramp, cssh, el-get, gnus.

> If you can report bugs for these, that would be great.  I don't make much use
> of emacs network connections these days, but several others do.

I surely do if stumble upon one by using Mac port.

> For me, saying ``just use the mac port'' is demonstrably NOT the best of both
> worlds. I'm hopeful that we can get there, especially now that the mac port
> is closer than ever to the ns port (sadly not close enough for trivial
> patching, but still pretty close).

I vote for both of them. NS port for GNUStep and Mac port for OS X. But not to
merge Mac port into the NS port. They are different. And from my point of view
NS port makes great editor Emacs looks like an old type machine. And users will
never know about how great it is and prefer ordinary non-Free editors like
TextMate or else.

And here https://vimeo.com/46309150 is GUI bug in NS port.

        Pavlo