Re: feature request: improve file recovery

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: feature request: improve file recovery
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 14:08:04 +0900

Glenn Morris writes:

 > Before you start, don't overlook this:
 >
 >    Looks like it was written by Ben Wing
 >
 > who has no assignment of any kind on file AFAICS, so you should not use
 > this as a basis for an implementation.

It's a slight risk of being unable to distribute the new code, yes.
However, the effort of copying this code is likely to be quite small
on the one hand.  On the other, Ben has expressed his willingness to
sign papers in the past on several occasions; he has no objection in
principle to doing so, and I will encourage him to do so here.  The
only real problem likely to come up is that he intermittently drops
off the 'net and may not be reading his mail.

It's not a hard feature to implement straightforwardly, I've done it
myself.  However, there are a number of nuances in the XEmacs code
that might be useful to see in advance.  And it's surely less effort
to wait a while for a reply from Ben then to try to guess what XEmacs
has already learned from experience with the feature.