Re: The emacs_backtrace "feature"

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: The emacs_backtrace "feature"
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 14:00:03 +0900

Nix writes:

 > Those [distros] that aren't redirecting [core dumps] through a
 > piped program (which is most of them)

By "most of them", I take it you mean "Red Hat derivatives" or
something like that, as neither my Debian system nor my Gentoo system
does this (unless /proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern lies to unprivileged
processes: it's "core" in both of them according to cat(1)).  Elderly
BSD-ish systems (at least, I assume Darwin is relatively elderly, the
man page is dated 2008) don't support piping or even renaming core
files (according to the man page).

I stand by my original suggestion: documenting the ulimit command
takes up only one line, and may be useful to many users if their crash
is easily reproducible -- even if they don't know how to do that yet,
they're likely to accidentally trigger it again in the process of
attempting to complete the work interrupted by the first crash.

Steve