Re: PATCH: num3-mode for highlighting groups of digits in long numbers

From: Michal Nazarewicz
Subject: Re: PATCH: num3-mode for highlighting groups of digits in long numbers
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 23:33:03 +0200

On Wed, Sep 26 2012, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> Sorry, you're absolutely right.  It's mistake in documentation in my
>> part.  Attached is fixed version of the file.
>
> Thanks, I just added it to the `elpa' so it should appear in GNU ELPA
> next time someone refreshes it.
>
> I made the following changes:
> - Added a "Version: 1.0" header.

Ah, thanks.  I've added the header at one point but must have removed it
by mistake during subsequent edits.

> - Removed the (require 'font-lock) that seemed unnecessary.

Well, num3 does use some font-lock-* functions, but they may be
autoloads or something.

> - Removed turn-on-num3-mode since (num3-mode) does the same anyway.
>   I do see that when num3-mode is already enabled (turn-on-num3-mode) did
>   nothing whereas (num3-mode) will call font-lock-fontify-buffer but if
>   that's a problem, we should fix num3-mode.

Uh?  num3-mode properly toggles number highlighting for me.

> I'm not sure what the "-num-" prefix is meant to be and I'm not fond
> of it.  If it's meant for internal functions, then please use
> "num--" instead.

Will do.

>> checkdoc-current-buffer gives me two errors but I'm not sure how to fix
>> those since in given instances num3-mode refers to the mode.
>
> Don't take checkdoc for the gospel; those "errors" are fine.
> If you do want to fix them, do as told: add the word "function" or
> "command" soon before the offending `num3-mode'.

Yeah, I've decided that in this instance, I'm smarter than

> If you want to maintain the file directly in the elpa branch (rather
> than send us patches), then please ask for write access (by registering
> an account on savannah, and asking for membership in the "emacs" group
> from that account).

Will do.

--
Best regards,                                         _     _
.o. | Liege of Serenely Enlightened Majesty of      o' \,=./ `o