Re: Elisp native profiler

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Elisp native profiler
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 12:06:21 -0400

> Is the cpu profile below (obtained with the above recipe) reasonable?

Yes.

> Why do functions like scroll-up-command and jit-lock-function appear
> twice or three times, once under call-interactively, the other time by
> themselves or under scroll-up?

I'd guess it's because of the FIXME in profiler-call-tree-build-1.
I.e. you should be able to work around this limitation by increasing
profiler-max-stack-depth.

        Stefan

> (Should we rename "Automatic GC" like we did with redisplay?)

As you may see, it's handled very specially, and is presented always at
top-level.  I basically treat it as a separate (cooperative) thread.
So "Automatic GC" is meant as the name of the "thread" more than the
name of the function.

        Stefan