RE: Isearch: retrieve last successful search string from when you quit (

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: RE: Isearch: retrieve last successful search string from when you quit (`C-g')
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2012 12:22:53 +0900

Drew Adams writes:

 > But I cannot imagine that you really want to be able to find _all_
 > such unvisited search strings on your search rings.

I can.  XEmacs 21.5 does precisely that (since February 2004).  Nobody
has ever complained about "pollution".  Not even once.

That's a statistically small sample, it's true, but clearly, it's not
unimaginable by at least some reasonable people.

In the XEmacs implementation, C-s ... RET C-x C-x and a successful C-s
... C-g are different.  Although both push the successful search
string on the ring, only the first pushes a mark.

Your approach might be better, but ... you already have it, so it's no
skin off your nose if Emacs experiments with the alternative.