RE: [cedet-semantic] Latest CEDET on BZR does not compile with emacs 24.

From: Vincent Belaïche
Subject: RE: [cedet-semantic] Latest CEDET on BZR does not compile with emacs 24.1
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 22:02:37 +0200

> Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 23:10:31 +0200
> From: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: [cedet-semantic] Latest CEDET on BZR does not compile with emacs 24.1
> To: address@hidden
> CC: address@hidden; address@hidden; address@hidden
>
> > From: Vincent Belaïche <address@hidden>
> > CC: "address@hidden"
> > <address@hidden>, emacs-devel <address@hidden>

[... SNIP ...]

> I suggest not to use MSYS at all.

Is that a general recommendation --- i.e. do not build EMACS with MSYS --- or is that a recommendation for CEDET only. It happens that I could not compile EMACS with MSYS for some time --- is the MSYS port abandoned ?

> If the original CEDET Makefile's
> cannot be changed to not require a Unixy shell,

The only MSWindows port of GNUMake which I know is the MSYS one. Cygwin is not really a Windows port, it is rather some Unixy environment emulation under MSWindows.

I tried the Makefile with dmake and here is what it does:

C:\Programme\GNU\installation\cedet-install\cedet>dmake EMACS=c:\Programme\GNU\emacs-24.1\bin\emacs.exe
dmake EMACS=c:\Programme\GNU\emacs-24.1\bin\emacs.exe
dmake.exe: makefile: line 46: Error: -- Missing targets or attributes in rule

i.e. it seems that dmake is less advanced than GNU Make and does not support addsufix function.

> write a separate
> Windows specific Makefile with equivalent commands, and be done with
> that.

I am afraid that the trick which I did is tremendously simpler to do and to maintain than what I understood that you are suggesting. I am not going to re-write all the CEDET Makefiles just to use an MSWindows make engine. I've  read from David that those Makefiles are generated by EDE, so if ever there was something to do, it would be better to upgrade EDE to generates those MSWindows makefile, or anything working well under MSWindows without the need for a Unixy shell (e.g. ant build.xml files). Anyhow, CEDET can be built with some lisp only script that will be soon fixed, so even this thing is not needed.

> As a bonus, latest native ports of GNU Make support all the
> functions that you needed to replace. You can even replace Sed
> commands with equivalent GNU Make functions, if you want.

Thank you for the advice, I totally agree with this one, Makefile internal text & path manipulation should be done as much as possible platform independent.
I attached a corrected `platform.mak' which does not use sed but only GNU make functions. You are right, sed is a little old fashioned and not always available.

> MSYS is for configuring and building packages that use Autoconf and
> other autotools. It is not really appropriate for arbitrary Windows
> jobs. It can be done, of course, as your patch demonstrates, but it
> will be fragile, and requires MSYS to be installed, which is a large
> set of packages.

Well, I have already MSYS installed, so I did not need any extra installation, while using Cygwin was the opposite in my case, that would have meant installing a large package.

Kind regards,
   Vincent.