Re: GNU ELPA visibility

From: Jeremiah Dodds
Subject: Re: GNU ELPA visibility
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 16:04:55 -0400

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> When looking for an Elisp package or feature, most people reach for
> their browser before reaching for M-x list-packages.
> But packages distributed via GNU ELPA won't show up because they're not
> visible to search engines.

I think it's very likely that M-x list-packages will get much more
common as time progresses. It's certainly the first thing that I go to
nowadays.

> So I think we should setup some GNU ELPA web-site that lists the
> packages and where each package gets a web page which would be the
> canonical web page for that package (so people can link to it from, say,
> emacswiki) describing it (its README or "Commentary:") plus a link to
> its repository.
>

>         Stefan

I'm not sure how much this would help the problem stated -- certainly
more than none -- but do think it would be a nice thing to have for
packages distributed via GNU ELPA.

Just my 2 cents, as a user.

--
Jeremiah Dodds